Friday, June 22, 2012

Why Watch Movies?

There is this question that I want to ask people in regards to films, and so writing about it in a blog seems the best way to ask. What is the purpose or motivation you have in sitting down and watching a movie? I must say that I have felt different ways about watching movies throughout my life, and more recently I believe my eyes have been opened to a better way of watching films.

Now, I know I have been writing a lot about movies recently, and this probably has a lot to do with the fact that I now work at a theater--and besides that I also love movies. Movies have always been really fascinating to me, but in more recent years they have become awesome! So I am going to give you a few reasons why I think movies are cool, and why I watch them.

Reason number UNO: Plain and simple, movies are entertaining. You can go watch a movie like the Avengers, and you will have about 2 hours of entertainment. This is not however the main reason that I like films.

Reason TWO: Movies to me are like books. They convey certain ideas and worldviews. Although, I must say that not all movies do this well--i.e. The Smurfs, or some other mindless rot (sorry if you like that film). On the other hand, many movies actually accomplish this task well--i.e. Prometheus (in my opinion). To me, a movie is more than entertainment; it is actually art that conveys ideas. You will be surprised at how many movies have spiritual undertones when you are actually looking for them. Some ideas and morals are obvious, and some have to be sought after.

Reason THREE: Story and plot. This is majorly linked to reason two, but I believe that the overall story, and the ideas and worldviews conveyed in a film are two separate things. To give an example...In Prometheus there are major ideas conveyed concerning life, God, creation, death, the gospel, etc. However, the story is how these ideas play out in the progression of the Characters, not necessarily the idea's themselves.
So these are just three reasons why I enjoy to watch films. I am really interested in why other people watch them, so please let me know. Also, I would like to clarify that in all my talk about the movie Prometheus, I am not recommending that everyone go out and see that movie. Some people might like it, others might not be able to handle/like the graphic content (violence), or even the story. On the flip side, I am recommending that you stop watching movies purely for entertainment. Why not try and look for ideas and messages that the director is trying to convey?

Tell me what you think, and why you watch movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment